Planetary Conquest. Shock Troopers. Orbital Strikes. The idea was simple, yet complex at the same time: bringing planetary conquest to EVE Online. The contest was two-part: fiction and mechanics. The timing was perfect. DUST 514 was about to hit the gaming world, and shake the foundation of gaming genres. In the end, 17 articles were submitted, 2 of which were unfortunately disqualified for not making the deadline.
The quality and originality of the articles submitted was quite impressive, thus making my job of judging each one that much harder. I must have gone through the articles at least twice, if not three times. I must say I had a really hard time narrowing it down to the 5 best articles/ideas/concepts. But the Night is the mother of counsel they say. After a good night's sleep, the last 5 submissions you see below, managed to stand out in my mind.
- Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah - Planetary Control Contest
- A Misguided Adventure - Planetary Conquest, my idea
- Death's Sweetest Kiss - Planetary Conquistadors!
- Bellum Eternus - Crazy Kinux's dev interview contest entry - Fiction Component, Design Component
- Anomaly T - More Than a Rock - Planetary Control: Colonies and Capital
I really wish all these folks could participate in the podcast interview, but only one spot was available. The luck of the draw was Xiphos83's articles "Planetary Conquest, my idea".
Congratulations to Xiphos83! I'll be contacting you shortly to work out a schedule with the CCP Dev whom we'll be participating in the podcast.
I'd like to thank the participants, all 17 of you. Your ideas were all very ingenious! See you somewhere in space. Fly Safe!