EVE Online veterans are all aware that it's not the easiest MMORPG to jump into and that it's got a steep learning curve, with a hardcore player following. So I've put together another list to help players understand the nature of EVE, before they set out to make a living in New Eden. A kind of reality check if you will.
- The only place where you're safe in EVE is either docked or offline, otherwise you're mostly fair game.
- You will eventually get podded. It's nothing personal.
- So make sure your clone is up to date
- At any given time, make sure you're always training a skill.
- EVE is like a sandbox with landmines. Deal with it.
- You're flying in a cocoon full of liquid, known as a pod. Not behind the controls of a ship.
- Flying a ship anywhere in EVE is like gambling, only fly what you're willing to lose.
- CONCORD exists to punish, not to protect.
- If you're going to be in a low sec system for a while, create 2 or more safe spots, just in case.
- Pirates are not griefers, they're as much a part of EVE as you are.
Fly safe, or die trying!
[Update: March 16th, 2010 - updated "Tips and Advice" link following @dianalynnETC tweet]