- Kill Mission Survival Guides - What to expect in those agent missions.
- EVE Missions list (Level 1 through 4) - Very useful info for those PvE players
- WTFBBQ - Route Planner
- Eve on a Mac, Part 2 - Rick seems to be having issues. Mac users, stay tuned.
- New EVE Ship Purchase: Myrmidon - A great market analysis by Godlesswanderer.
- PAX 2007: Graphics, social elements coming to space MMO - Trinitty II baby!
- EVE Online video - For the EuroDance lovers out there!
- Video Interview with Associate Producer Arend Stuhrmann - A must see!
- As an EVE Affiliate participant I got access to the video shown by Arend. All I have to say is that it's jaw dropping gorgeousness!! Can't wait until I can show it to you.
- Odd Pod Out - A new EVE players blog. Very refreshing.
- Quick Thoughts About Eve - An EVE players returns.
- A State of Ore - Wilhem2451 on the state of mining.
- The Rorqual: a whale of a ship - a great article over at EVE Tribune.
- Exploring EVE Online - A new EVE blog.
- PAX 07: Interview with Noah Ward, Lead Designer - A WarCry Interview.
- TenTonHammer: Ambulation Unveiled at PAX 2007 - A great article from Cameron Sorden.
- WarCry: CCP Game Convention News Links - All the recent links to CCP news
- Warp Drive Active Podcast #8 and #9 - Getting better with every show guys!
- Warp Drive Active #133 - POS cleansing!
Friday, August 31, 2007
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Monday, August 27, 2007
This thing is going to be big, real big. Here are the videos then.
Another item that will be making an introduction into EVE Online in the near future will be the Rorqual, which is designed to be the mother of all mining support ships. "The Rorqual is designed to be able to compress ore to a fraction of its original size for easy transportation, and when it's in siege mode it has a 300 km tractor beam," Arend said. "It has a clone vat bay just like other capitals. It has a hanger array. The only thing I can compare it to is a Japanese whaling fleet. This is the mothership and all your mining barges are the feeders. We're still looking to balance it as far as compression ratios and defensive capabilities are concerned, but this is really going to be an asset," In the opinion of all those sitting at the table, we couldn't help but agree that even if some of the smaller corps could build one of these ships they could become much more economically viable.
"We're really looking forward to seeing how this affects the game," Arend said. "Our lead economist is tracking this particular ship very closely to see what kind of difference it makes. At the moment we're seeing mineral prices go to really, really high levels, and it's getting more expensive to produce stuff in the game. Seeing as our economy is player-driven, our economist is just keeping a really close eye on things. I think this is one of those situations where having a full-time economist is really going to pay off for us and especially the players. Economics in the real world is tricky at best; it's even different for a virtual world." According to Arend, the Rorqual will be released in Revelations 2.2, which is supposed to hit the servers in "a month or so."
And here's a third one I just found after publishing this post:
Finally, here's a post on the EVE Forums with a few good screenshots of the behemoth. I can't wait to head over in a field of asteroids and rip through it! Oh well, you can't take the carebear out of me I guess!
- Trinity II will be out by the end of 2007
- It will require XP and DX9, not Vista and DX10 (woohoo!!)
- Dynamic Lighting (how sweet it looks)
- Trinity II lays the ground work for future DX10 improvements
- Moves a lot of the processing to the GPU, thus improving game performance (crosses me fingers)
- It'll be big at over 2Gb - a mother of a patch!
- Trinity II and the upcoming Revelations III patch might be separate patches (god, lets hope so)
- Revelations III's Factional WarFare is still being worked on
- Revelations 2.2 will have the new Rorqual Industrial Capital ship (this is one badass Carebear ship)
- A bit on the EVE economist
- "Avatars walking in station" feature is also being worked on
Friday, August 24, 2007
- Black Thorn - An EVE corporation
- Eve Online shakes up support - On the ISD shake-ups
- EVE Online: Spy Game - A Goonswarm espionage story
- The God of EVE Online, Hilmar Petursson - A great Hilmar interview
- EVE Online Goonswarm August - A great video by Stahlregen
- ICSC Jump planner - Very useful for long hauls
- Eve Strategic Maps - Lots of work done here for our benefit
- Beware of "Free" cans - You've been warned!
- Going the distance - Are MMOs marathons, or a series of sprints?
- New EVE Ship Purchase: Myrmidon - Looks like I'm not the only one with a liking for that ship!
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
The question, submitted by yours truly, was fielded by Mandrill during an interview with Hilmar Petursson, at the Edinburgh Interactive Festival earlier this month. As a result of having my question chosen for the interview, I won a Gaming Moments T-shirt! It's currently on it's way! I'll post a picture of it when I get.
I highly recommend you head over and read the interview titled, "The God of EVE Online, Hilmar Petursson". It's not your typical interview, with the same old and repetitive questions - which Hilmar seems to have given over the last couple of weeks. Mandrill went out of his way to ask different questions, and as a result, I learned a couple of new things about EVE. Have a read and let Mandrill know what you thought.
Getting back to the Fan Fest, is anyone out there interested in putting together such an event? Maybe we could start with CCP White Wolf and start annoying them with the idea. As I've mentioned in the past, I've been to a fan fest held in Las Vegas (pictures here) and though a bit short, it was a blast. I'm sure there are enough EVE fans out there to hold another soon. Maybe on the east coast this time.
I'm convinced this could be really a big event. Taking into account the results of my latest poll, in which 69% of you wished they could attend the EVE Fan Fest in Iceland, I'm sure that some of you in the States or Canada would most likely travel to such an event. Hell, I know I would!
Anyway, the idea has been put forth. Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in putting together. I for one, am ready to give it a try. Let's see where this leads.
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Monday, August 20, 2007
While setting up my Myrmidon for PvP, I came across a couple of new acronyms I'd never heard before. And that got me thinking. All these noobs joining EVE right now and coming along the forums trying to understand it all and put some good setups for their ships will most likely run into these difficulties. This is especially true when it comes to modules.
So in order to help you, here's my list of ten acronyms or terms you've got to know:
- Newbie, noob: a new player
- Carebear: an EVE player who does not engage in PVP
- MWD: Microwarp Drive (1/10/100 MN)
- AB: Afterburner (1/10/100 MN)
- Hardener: Armour or Shield hardener, both active and passive
- EANM: Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
- RMR: Red Moon Rising
- PVP: Player vs Player
- PVE: Player vs Environment
- NPC: Non-Player Character
- 0.0: lawless space that lies outside empire sovereignty - also known as nosec
- Ratting: going after pirates, both NPC and PC
- Mission: running agent missions
- Solo: solo PVP, usually self sufficient with ability to tank, gank, and tackle
- Podded: Losing ones ship and the ejected pod
- NOS: nosferatu
- Gank: the amount of damage a ship is set up to do
- Tank: The amount of damage a ship is set up to absorb
- Tackle/Tackler: To Warp Scramble/Disrupt a target
- Named: usually modules of higher quality (and price)
- Camp or gatecamp: - a group of players sitting at a gate waiting to ambush other players
Friday, August 17, 2007
- EVE Online Stackless Python Upgrade Q&A - For the geek in you
- EVE Online seeking Linux-client Beta-testers - EVE for the penguin lovers
- Reuters: Virtual world hires real economist - Old news, but it's now hitting main stream media
- How To Find An Agent in EVE Online - A great Howto from The Ancient Gaming Noob
- CCP's Technical Producer for EVE Online, Torfi Frans Olafsson Interview - Old but still current
- Gamespot: Q&A: EVE Online's Hilmar Petursson - A great article full of juicy info
- The Phoenix Rising - A great corp for elite EVE players (now recruiting)
- The scope of EVE Online - EVE is still an impressive MMO
- Warp Drive Active Podcast - Getting better guys!
- EVE Online: A Career in Asteroid Mining - Burn some roids and make money!
- CCP Games podcast - A self-promotional IBM podcast with Hilmar. A bit old, but come across it this week only.
- EVE Bank - Soon to be relaunched
Thursday, August 16, 2007
- No Factional Warfare in Revelations III
- New graphic engine will be released soon
- Avatars are there mainly to attract new (female) players
- Of the 250 CCP employees, 200 of them currently work on EVE
- EVE Online novels by the first quarter of 2008
- The RPG books are coming along nicely
- The Art of EVE Online book is almost upon us
- EVE mobile is not a priority
- No playable Jovians any time soon
And to bare that wait a bit more easily, here's a video interview with Torfi Frans Olafsson, CCP's Technical Producer for EVE Online. It was done way back in December of last year, during the last EVE Tournament I believe. It was put up on YouTube by Xyliana, who's now producing EVE TV for MMMPublishing. Torfi talks mostly about the avatar project, and so it's a great interview for those, like me, who long for this new feature in EVE. Enjoy!
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
The one piece that caught my attention is CCP's goal to have 3D character avatars (yes, that's the walking kind) some time by end of 2008. How realistic is that in view of the complexity most likely involved (hardware, lag, game play, purpose), only time will tell. Still, I can't wait to see this happen. This, and Trinity II will be the only reasons why I upgrade this PC to be able to run Vista and DX10.
Here's a few links I've put together for your perusal:
- EVE Online Adding Human-Form Avatars
- EIF 2007: Hilmar Petursson explains why EVE Online “will never stop”
- EIF: CCP's Petursson On EVE Online's People-Powered Universe
- Summary of Hilmar Petursson's session
- CCP Games CEO on how Eve Online differs from WoW
- Black Company: EVE Online, Hilmar Petursson
P.S.: I'll keep editing this post, adding new articles as they appear. So keep an eye on this one!
HIGH SLOT: 3 Nos, 3 Electron IIs
MED SLOT: AB/Web/Scram/Electrochem injector
LOW SLOT: 2 Medium Reps, therm/kin/exp hard, Damage control
Though I haven't really tried the setup yet, something tells me that this one should work a bit better, especially since this time, I'm getting all Tech II weapons and gear. I'm currently in the process of gathering the right modules, and also training accordingly to meet all these new requirements. Add to that the new tactics that I'm learning (like not to fly solo in low sec), and I should have an easier time during my next encounter.
It'll most likely take a week or two to get where I need to be in order to able able to fly such a set. Once I've got the complete setup, I'll let you all know.
Monday, August 13, 2007
Where is it?
And why do we have to wait for Tony's novel? Why not publish all the EVE Chronicles so far released in an anthology? Add to it all the chronicles published in EON, give it a dash of EVE artwork and you've got yourself a great Christmas gift! I sure would love to get my hands on such a piece by years end.
And then, maybe Tony's book would be out. Who knows.
So here's my question to you: would you purchase an EVE Online novel if it were published? And how about a graphic novel? Lore books?
Please let me know by comment!
Friday, August 10, 2007
- Against All Authorities - The alliance that podded me twice in a week!
- Pandemic Legion - Another alliance killboard
- EVE Online is a casual MMORPG - EVE, a welcome haven for noob
- EVE Online graphic service - get your signatures done here!
- Chimps in Space - a new blog on EVE
- Fantasy/Sci-Fi MMO Steelcage Deathmatch - At opposite ends
- EVE Wiki Ships - All you wanted to know above EVE spaceships
Thursday, August 09, 2007
Here is the list of modules from the Highs to the Lows:
- High Slots
- 4x Heavy Electron Blaster I
- 1x E5 Prototype Energy Vampire
- 1x Drone Link Augmentor I
- Medium Slots
- 1x Sensor Booster II
- 1x 10mn Afterburner
- 1x Warp Disruptor I
- 1x Patterned Stasis Web I
- 1x Medium F-RX Prototype I Capacitor Booster
- Low Slots
- 2x Medium Armor Repairer
- 1x 1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
- 1x N-Type Kinetic Hardener I
- 1x N-Type Explosive Hardener I
- 1x Armor Thermic Hardener I
After waking up in Badivefi, I can say that I've learned my first lesson on PvPing: never travel alone in low sec. Guess I learned that the hard way. But do not despair, I plan on getting funds from the corp, getting a new Myrmidon, and setting her up with the same setup. This time though, I'll try using my brains a little bit more!
Oh, and please let me know you'll be coming in the forums thread, right here!
Wednesday, August 08, 2007
I've always wanted to go after the rats that have destroyed my ships, looted my cargo, or ruthlessly podded me. The funny thing is that though I've always acted like a carebear, I've trained like a PVPer. Case in point, of my 32 million skill points, 8 million are in Gunnery, almost 7 million in Drones, and 2,5 million in Missile Launcher Ops. That's almost half my skill points in combat. Talk about a harmless carebear! Not!!
So tonight, I've spent all my time in a hangar in Badivefi, chatting away with two professional PvPers, Alexis Aristide and Sine Tamar, going over a PVP Myrmidon setup. I can't wait to take her out and let it rip on some poor unsuspecting pirate - and I'm not talking the NPC kind.
I'll let you know about the setup we came up with and tell you how I did in my first PvP engagement where I wasn't the victim!
Fly safely all - there goes the carebear in me!
Monday, August 06, 2007
Still, I decided to share the whole list with you. I'll only provide the list here today, since I plan on exploring each item in separate posts. Some of these I've already discussed here in past posts, and so I've linked them to their original post.
Feel free to let me know what you think of this list and what would your EVE Online wishes would be.
The list, in no particular order:
- Customizable ship exterior
- Evemail clients (either web based or a separate application)
- EVE Mobile edition
- EVE Skill training through the EVE Insider site
- Training multiple characters within the same account at the same time
- Switching between characters without exiting the game
- Avatars walking in space stations
- Accessible planets for ground level bases
- RPG & Lore books
- EVE Online Novels
- Graphic Novels
- EVE Artwork book (I know this one's coming)
- A North American EVE Online Fan Fest
- A book on the History of CCP and the making of EVE Online
- A detailed history of the EVE Online universe
- The Jovians - where the hell are they!!
- Books on the Races, the Science, the ships of EVE
- Video tutorials
- Savable ship setups
- Some new music by John Hallur
Sunday, August 05, 2007
Pictured above (from left to right) are Sinjin, Sine Tamar, Alexis Aristide, Pandore, Treenara Mazouk (that's me) and Phreacker. And I guess you can tell by the look on our faces, we had fun and the pints they were flowing nicely. So the guys have asked me to setup the next meeting, which I plan to do soon. As soon that is as when they get me a few good PvP ship setups for my Vexor, Myrmidon and Dominix! Now we're talking!
P.S.: 1 million isk to the first one who points out the pirate amongst us!
Saturday, August 04, 2007
The screenshot below gives you a glimpse of what I mean. With the current rework of Trinity, EVE's graphical engine, the future looks even better. Of the few before and after Trinity II screenshots that we've been fed by CCP, I really can't wait for them to roll it out.
I've put together a set over on Flickr of my favorites screenshots. Have a peek, enjoy, and let me know about your favorites. Oh and while you're at it, have a look at the Trinity II comparison shots I've also added.
And now, I'm off the the First Montreal EVE Player Gathering over at Hurley's on Crescent St., downtown. I'll have pictures and stories to tell in tomorrow's post. I'm looking forward to meeting fellow capsuleers and share a few war stories while drinking a nice cold one. See you there boys!
Fly safe everyone!
Friday, August 03, 2007
- EvE Careers - For pilots looking for corps and corps looking pilots.
- Ok, Now This Is Getting Ridiculous... - Bekka Jae on EVE TV
- Revelations Tutorial - Part II - The second part of Wilhelm's "new tutorial" review.
- EVE Chronicles: Summer Breeze - Average in my opinion, but still interesting.
- Warp Drive Active PodCast #4 - Somewhat average, but the only EVE podcast we have!
- Learning Skills for Learning Skills - Learning Skills Guide from Wilhelm
- EVE Online on a Mac - Get your MacBook Pro out and start her up!
- EVE TV: From the Inside - News from EVE Tribune
- Edinburgh Interactive Festival - Hilmar (CCP's CEO) will be there to talk about the evolution of EVE and the financial cut throat economic game play.
- EVE Fitting Tool (v2.2) - A nifty fun utility for fitting your ships.
Thursday, August 02, 2007
My second, and most frustrating issue though is that I can't log back into EVE. After being podded and waking up in Badivedfi, I tried to activate the Medical facilities to buy a new clone. But I was getting no response from the GUI. So I decided to log out and in of the EVE client, thinking that this should do the trick.
Well if I'm here typing away on the laptop, you know that I wasn't able to get back in. So unfortunately, I won't be able to share the Celestis setup that got me in this predicament. That'll have to wait until the time I can log back in and get the evemails. All I know at this time is that it was most likely two pilots from Rens (?) or Triple A; two entities with which FIX is at war. I'll let you know later.
What I 'can' tell you now though, is that you need to test you ship's setup before heading too far out in low sec or unfriendly space. Or else it can cost you dearly, as it did for me tonight!
I've learned my lesson.
On that note folks, Good night and Good luck!
A bit of statistics first, please. July was...
- 13 posts
- 1 poll
- 38 comments
- 7894 page views
- 5422 visitors
- 848 returning visitors
During July I also spent a good number of hours improving the overall look and feel of the blog, with some nifty Blogger hacks - the labels a the top of the sidebar is a good example. I'm currently happy with the way the blog is, and now want to focus my attention on the content and get some more quality posts.
Special thanks goes out the sahlregen, vargas and Syncaine for their feedback and encouragements. It's very much appreciated and always welcomed!
Wednesday, August 01, 2007
The more intuitive, informative, and EVE addicts will have guessed by now that I referring to the EVE Fanfest 2007!! Those lucky few, who will be part of this migratory pattern, will witness some interesting events, learn fascinating new features of EVE, and thoroughly enjoy themselves, while feasting on various incapacitating beverages.
Unfortunately, I won't be partaking in this year's Fanfest, which would have been my first. The birth of my daughter earlier in the year, work travel schedule and different vacations plans, makes it difficult to attend this year's community gathering. I still wish I could go, but I have to settle for news and fan videos as I've done in the past (here and here).
Since I'm not going, I'm curious to know who amongst you is. Let me know in the survey at the top of the right side bar. I'll leave it up a bit longer than usual, say mid-August, to have a good overall picture of who's going or not. And while you're at it, please let us know by commenting if you've been to any of the previous Fan Fest. I'd love to know!
In the mean time, the Montreal EVE Player Gathering I'm organizing is coming up this Saturday! So far we should be about 12 to 15. Should be quite interesting. I'll be taking the camera with me and will be sharing the event with you in Sunday's post.
Earlier this week I cleaned up the EVE Blog Pack, removing outdated blogs and adding a fresh new set of prolific EVE Online bloggers. In do...
Last Update: March 16th, 2011 --- Recently Added: 11 --- Recently Removed: 0 I thought I'd also add the blogs of fellow EVE player...
[ Latest update: March 16th, 2011 ] The following list is in constant evolution as per the EVE Blog Pack's organic nature! Only the b...